Monday, September 18, 2006

My Kids 3rd Grade Math Book


Image from Mathematics: The Path To Math Success! by Sivler Burdett Ginn page 60.

I promised I would post an image of my 3rd graders math book. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for copyright infringment. The page is on "acting it out as a problem solving method". I suppose thats one method. On closer examination of the text book, I confess that its not as bad as it could of been. I do have some problems... it skips around from geometry to multiplication to estimations to division. There is way to much review at the beginning of the book. It also ends with one digit by two digit multiplication and division. I would think that most 3rd graders given proper instruction would be able to move beyond this by the end of the year given better instruction.

Update: I realize its hard to read the image. The problem is about three kids tossing the ball in a circle. Who has the ball after the 12th catch. The suggested solution, act it out.

Update #2: I found a great site that reviews math books. My 3rd graders book is Mathematics: The Path To Math Success! from Silver Burdett Ginn. The review is of its 2nd grade version is over here at www.mathematicallycorrect.com.

Overall Evaluation [3.4]
Students using this program have a reasonable chance of moderate achievement levels. On the other hand, this program is not seen as supporting high achievement levels. It is possible that a skillful teacher could overcome some of the limitations of this program and use it more effectively. The heavy reliance on models and the potential confusion in the treatment of perimeter are examples of areas where an effective teacher could improve upon the student learning supported by this program.


Thank god I already supplement my kids math skills. I would be interested in learning which books other people with elementary school kids are using.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I substituted for the elementary grades, I came to despise the math textbooks and the new terms that went along with them. It seemed that every book had a different way to explained things like remainders in division or carrying a number in addition. They also had inane activities like this one. I noticed, though, that many teachers ignored such activities and focused on the practice pages, although that could have only been the case because a substitute was in charge.

KDeRosa said...

This stuff is inane, pure and simple.