Saturday, November 08, 2008

Obamacation

According to Fox News, Obama is considering "former Bush Secretary of State Colin Powell as possible education secretary".  How many jobs is Colin Powell going to have in his lifetime?

What's with the meme of hiring high ranking military officers to run education organizations?  Can't they find any qualified education people?

BTW, I notice Teach For America wasn't mentioned anywhere in Obama's education initiatives on change.gov.  Oh well, maybe all those bright young things can join the New Energy Corps, the Veterans Corps, or the Health Corps.

For a guy who ran on change, he isn't very original.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Years ago, during the Cold War, my dad suggested that inner city schools be run by high-ranking, black officers. He thought the order and discipline they would bring would be a good thing, not to mention the example for inner-city, black youth. I tended to agree.

Now, given the nature of the Education Industry, and its inability to focus on one thing (they grab anything sent them by the purveyors) I think it might still be a good idea. I say "high-ranking" because I assume you have to be pretty smart to make it to General, and smart is a prerequisite for running an educational institution, or any public institution.

About sending soldiers to be teachers, I'm not so sure. I think there needs to be some kind of licensing and testing of candidates; we can't just assume that because you are a soldier you can teach kids.

Anyway, I don't think Powell will be Ed. Sec. I wouldn't mind, but I don't think so. And I definitely do not want Kerry as Sec. of State. I'd rather see Powell there.