Monday, September 08, 2008

Obama: "The American people aren't stupid."

Steve Benen over at the Washington Monthly thinks that Obama's like "They must think the American people are stupid" is a good campaign slogan.

I admit that I am not neutral, but I don't think the line works that well, at least for swing voters.

I am not sure what would work for him, but I don't think he can turn Palin into a weakness, best for him to pray that she flubs on her own (though I don't think it's likely).

Democratic candidates don't do well on attacks unless it is on issues of "corruption".

I think a good move would be to take a deep breath for a week or two, then announce some sort of major position in his administration for Hillary Clinton (who was my initial pick). It might be too late, but it's his best shot to shore up his support.

If he had picked Hillary as VP, he robbed McCain the impact of Palin and he would of cemented her base of women voters.

I think in the end, its these two decisions (Hillary and Palin) that will analyzed over and over. This is the year of women. Sort of ironic that the Republicans stole the thunder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Obama had picked Hillary as VP, Sarah Palin would not have become a household word, just has she would no if she were Steve Palin.

But I'm interested, since you are actually up there in Alaska--she looks from here in the midwest like something of a loose cannon. So far, the McCain camp has kept her on a pretty tight leash. Now I am sure that Saturday Night Live is going to have a great time with her (how could they not--a hockey mom who shoots moose, she's practically her own puchline), but do you really think she has the media savvy and the political experience to get through a campaign without a major gaffe at some point?

TurbineGuy said...

loose cannon - anything but.

media savvy - yes, but somewhat stubborn.

major gaffe - not a chance... to smart

You aren't seeing the real Palin. She has never played 2nd string before. It will take a while for her to get comfortable in someone elses positions. Biden is naturally a bench warmer.

Watch the debate. It will answer all.